Seeking your VOTE on the 2019 YRDSB By-election Thursday April 25, 2019
2019 York Region District School Board Trustee Candidate Vaughan - WARD 1 and 2
DR. DEVEN SANDHU PhD, MBA, ICD.D
Deven Sandhu's ACTION PLAN for execution
For YORK REGION DISTRICT BOARD
To promote excellence and equity in education, Deven would influence following changes for Students
- -Improve Fraser Institute Ratings in for Schools in the York Region.
- -All round development with sports/ innovative programs like DECA, United Nations, Spiritual Consciousness, Tolerance, Physical Activity for every child.
- -Communicate with Ontario University stakeholders to make favourable policies to reserve Seats for Ontario High School Students/ Undergraduates for coveted Medical as well as Professional Institutions. This is done by other provinces and we should generate similar policies in Ontario.
- - Specialized Education programs to facilitate development of Entrepreneurs and Leaders.
- -Teacher-Student-Parent Partnership (TSPP)
- -2-Way communication with parents and teachers
- -Back-to-basics Math Curriculum which includes advancded Math skills for secondary school students.
- -Encouraging high school students to take at least one online credit each year
- -Support health/sex-ed curriculum as per provincial government guidelines
- -Mental health and wellness Program.
- -Support ban on cellphones in classrooms unless teachers require them for the instructional purposes.
- -Strongly support Science/technology/engineering and math (STEM) instruction as well as Artificial Intelligence programs for Secondary Education.
- Emphasize in hiring/presence of specialized teachers for Science and Maths courses
- Physical Education programs as well as libraries in each elementary School
- Encourage Schools to achieve high ratings as prevalent in the OECD countries
- Emphasize in importance and increase in the number of specialized programs across different wards in the York Region District School Board to make public education competitive. Some of the examples are: 1). The International Baccalaureate® (IB) which offers high quality international education programmes to more than one million students in 146 countries. 2). Advance Placement Program created by the College Board to expand access to higher education, with the membership in over 6,000 of the world’s leading educational institutions.
- Specialized Seminar Series programs to invite industry/ academic/entrepreneurs / leaders/Athletes for expert seminars to facilitate encouragement, development and provide career guidance for the High School Students to select career paths of their choice.
- Across most countries and economies, socio-economically disadvantaged students not only score lower in mathematics, they also reported lower levels of engagement, drive, motivation and self-beliefs (PISA 2012 Score). Enhance Quality of Mathematics in the Ontario schools.
- Support safety in our Schools and facilitate preventive measures and zero tolerance for Violence as well as Bullying.
- Facilitate bridge and Co-up Programs for High School Students so that they are better prepared for the University Education.
- Communicate with Ontario University stakeholders to make favorable policies to reserve Seats for Ontario High School Students/ Undergraduates for coveted Medical as well as Professional Institutions.This is done by other provinces and we should generate similar policies in Ontario.
- Recommend hiring of recent Ontario Graduates from the Education faculty and teachers with tertiary education in Science and Mathematics.
- Encourage Mentoring program for new teachers or teachers in training with senior Ontario teachers.
- It is fact that in most school systems, over 50% of 15-year-olds students attend schools that compete with another school to attract students from the same residential area.
- I would encourage presence of specialized programs like IB, AP, MaCS, OYAP, SHSM, IBT, ScTech, Sports and Strings Program for students looking for extra challenge.
- Work with Special Needs Organizations to increase programs to serve kids with special needs. •
As like any other parent, Deven's goal is to get best possible education with all round development with sports/ innovative programs like DECA/United Nations programs in all Secondary School for every child and thereby prepare kids for University.